What's on at "The Berne"
For your convenience, here is our programme in calendar form. The /ATTA\ logo marks our series of mid-week trainings, Applied Topics in Transactional Analysis.
- Fri.-Sun. 5-7 Sept.: Professional Excellence Workshop at The Berne Institute with Adrienne Lee, Ian Stewart and Mark Widdowson. Fee: £395 (booking deposit £95)
- Sat. 13 Sept.: Free seminar: "Symbiosis" Jules Marshall PTSTA(P)
- Thur.-Fri. 18-19 Sept.: “TA 101”: Official Introduction to TA Adrienne Lee BA MPracNLP TSTA(P) This introductory course will examine the theory of TA, including the structure of personality; transactions, or the way we relate to others; time structuring; the psychological “games” we play; and life scripts. This “TA 101” course is recognised by the British, European and international TA organizations as their standard approved introduction to TA. Fee: Berne Institute members £150; non-members £170 (booking deposit £50)
- Fri. 26 Sept.: Special Workshop: “Life Enhancement: a Powerful Presence in TA from the Very Beginning” with Ken Mellor DipSocStuds TSTA(P) Since his first exposure to TA in 1969, Ken Mellor has been among the most significant contributors to the theoy and practice of the discipline. The list of these contributions is long: expanding the understanding of psychosis, developing and using the discounting matrix, co-developing redefining strategies, dealing with suicidal people (using “life decisions”), Reparenting the Parent using the Parent Interview, resolving Impasses, Reframing approaches, identifying and using the awareness matrix, TA-based child-rearing, integrating everyday and spiritual practices with TA by combining Autonomy (a key Bernian notion) with Integrity (personal and spiritual wholeness) and, most recently, exploring and harnessing empathy, telepathy and creativity through intimacy (another key Bernian notion). Ken will discuss this evolving process and how it continues to influence current practices and new developments. There will be lots of opportunity for discussing both the personal impact of these developments with participants and specific questions they may have about his approaches. Fee: “Berne” members £85; non-members £95 (booking deposit £30 in both cases)
- Sat. 18 Oct.: Free seminar: "TA and Gender: That's not Ladylike…Be a Man about it" Andy Williams PTSTA (P) and Lin Cheung MSc PTSTA(P)
- Wed. 29 Oct.: First module in the Certificate Course on "Working with Children and Young People - Series 2". (For full details of this six-module course, please see our Certificate Course page)
- Weekend 1-2 Nov.: Redecision Therapy Training Marathon with Ian Stewart BA PhD MPracNLP TSTA(P) This workshop offers an opportunity for intensive personal experience and “hands-on” learning of the Redecision approach. The workshop will include: Redecision therapy sessions led by Ian Stewart... teaching and discussion of Redecision theory and techniques... and small-group work where members of the group have the chance to practise Redecision therapy under Ian’s supervision. Fee: £185 (booking deposit £85)
- Thur.-Fri. 6-7 Nov.: Process Group Therapy Marathon with Adrienne Lee BA MPracNLP TSTA(P) This training experience will analyse and demonstrate the different styles and processes of leadership and work that can be done in a group setting according to the theory and practice of Transactional Analysis and Process Group Therapy. Trainee therapists in the group will have the opportunity to learn in awareness and log the appropriate TA training hours. Fee: £185 (booking deposit £85)
- Sat. 8 Nov.: Free seminar: "Enhancing Relationships" Jennie Miller MSc PTSTA(P)
- Wed. 19 Nov.: /ATTA\: “Parenting Workshop” with Adrienne Lee BA MPracNLP TSTA(P) What does it mean to be a “good parent”? How do we learn to do this for our own children or children in our care, as well as for ourselves and our own intrapsychic Child? This workshop on TA and parenting is for professionals working with parents, children and families as well as for parents seeking greater understanding and skill. We will experience exercises in parenting using TA models and the Parenting Processes System devised by Adrienne. Parents can use this system to identify how to respond to and relate effectively with their children and enable them to develop healthy internal regulation. We will also explore the restorative aspects of parenting and the psychological need of the parent to reinforce or change their own childhood deficits in the process of parenting. Participants will be invited to share parenting experiences and get supervision and support for issues that need to be resolved. Fee: “Berne” members £85; non-members £95 (booking deposit £30 in both cases)
- Weekend 29-30 Nov.“TA 101”: Official Introduction to TA Ian Stewart BA PhD MPracNLP TSTA(P) (For details, please see the entry above for 18-19 Sept.). Fee: Berne Institute members £150; non-members £170 (booking deposit £50)
- 13 Dec.: Free seminar: "Happiness or Autonomy?" Barbara Monk-Steel BA MSc RMN PGD TSTA(P)
- Thur.-Fri. 15-16 Jan.: Process Group Therapy Marathon with Adrienne Lee BA MPracNLP TSTA(P) (For details, please see the entry above for 6-7 Nov.). Fee: £185 (booking deposit £85)
- Fri.-Sun. 27 Feb.-1 Mar. 2015: Professional Excellence Workshop at The Berne Institute with Adrienne Lee, Ian Stewart and Mark Widdowson. Fee: £395 (booking deposit £95)
Venue and times: all workshops and seminars are held at Berne House, 29 Derby Road, Kegworth, Leicestershire DE74 2EN. Kegworth is some ten miles south of Nottingham. Our training centre, Berne House, is on the main A6 through the village, one mile from Junction 24 on the M1. The nearest railway station is East Midlands Parkway (3 miles) and the nearest airport is East Midlands (5 miles). Unless otherwise stated (see the information page for the workshop concerned), all workshops begin at 10 a.m. and end at 5 p.m., with normal breaks for lunch and refreshments. We provide light refreshments for breaks. Kegworth offers a wide range of restaurants, hotels and pubs for buying lunch. There are many options in and around Kegworth for hotel and B&B accommodation - for a current list, please see our Accommodation page. Seminar evenings begin at 7 p.m. for a drink and snack before the seminar (bring food to share, if you wish; “The Berne” provides light refreshments with wine and soft drinks). The seminar presentation itself runs from 7.30-9.00 p.m. Seminars are free of charge.
To join “The Berne”: membership of The Berne Institute is open to all who have an interest in psychotherapy, counselling or related fields. To become a “Berne” member, please send the annual membership fee of £50 to the Course Registrar at the address below. Alternatively, you may become a member by paying this membership fee on arrival at any workshop. For more details on the benefits of membership, please visit our Membership page.
Bookings and payment: to book a place on any Berne Institute workshop, or for further information, please write or call: The Course Registrar, The Berne Institute, 29 Derby Road, Kegworth DE74 2EN (tel/fax 01509-673649; email via our Contact page. Where a booking deposit is required, please send this with your booking. Please make cheques etc. payable to The Berne Institute, except where our web page specifically asks you to make cheques out to the presenter by name. The balance of the fee is payable on arrival.